Monday, March 26, 2012

Scraps Card #23 Deer Man Card

I find it so hard to make male cards that are not for children!  I think a lot of crafters have this problem.  A friend of mine let me borrow this Stampin' Up set and I wanted to make a birthday card with the large buck but make it very bland.
My inspiration for the design came from Tuesday Morning Sketches #138.  My card base measures 5 1/2" x 4 1/4".  The mat is from my scraps collection and measures 5 1/4" x 4" and the dark wood-like strip measures 4" x 2".
For the ovals, I used my Plantin Schoolbook Cricut cartridge and cut a 3" and 3 1/2" oval from my scraps.  I inked the edges with my brown Studio G ink.
The image is from a retired Stampin' Up set and I stamped it using Memento Tuxedo black ink.  I didn't shade it in as I liked the "old" and worn out look with the black against the inked edges.  I used some twine and brown rustic buttons to finish off the design.
I entered this card in the following challenges...
Cards for Men#7: The Great Outdoors
Totally Stampalicious:  Card with Animal
Karen's Doodle:  Card for a Man
Cute Card Thursday #209:  Anything Goes
Card Makin Mamas:  Buttons
Crafty Calendar Challenge:  Spring Cleaning
Hiding in My Craft Room:  #39 Use Hideous Paper
Opus Gluei: Animals on Card



11 comments:

  1. A nice one for Tom's Birthday :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. 'Mature' masculine cards area always a challenge for me, too. This one is great!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great job with this male card! Love the vintage look with animals, it makes it look like an old photo! Thanks for joining us at Totally Stampalicious!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your papers and images - a really great design!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesome card. I really like the paper. Thank you for sharing and joining in at HIMCR. Hugs, Velma

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great masculine cards! Thanks for joining us at HIMCR!
    Angela
    HIMCR DT

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such a great card. Love the deers! Thanks for joining us at HIMCR DT AJ

    ReplyDelete
  8. You've accomplished, wonderfully I might add, a difficult challenge - to make a man's card (not for a child) and not one that is dull. This is anything BUT, I love the images you have and the way you add such thoughtful embellishments that really add that something extra. Well done!

    Thank you for sharing your creativity with us at Opus Gluei, this is just right with our theme. I hope you visit us again for more challenges!

    ReplyDelete
  9. what a great masculine card...i always have such trouble with those ones...thanks for playing along with the Poohbahs at the Opus Gluei challenge this week!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wonderful card. I'm so happy that you have joining our challenge at Card for Men with the theme The Great Outdoors, your card is just fantastic and I love seeing your creations. Good luck on the challenge.
    Hugs, Paricia

    ReplyDelete